Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Friday, January 14, 2011

KAL begins Sunday, January 16, 2011

I'm going to begin our KAL this coming Sunday, thanks to my great test knitters and my son.  Yes, I suddenly realized that I wasn't able to copy and past from Microsoft Word, so I was freaking out wondering how I was going to get the patterns posted.  Fortunately, he came to my rescue (as always) and sent me a couple of suggestions and I'm now up and running....I hope!

In any event, once again let me explain how this will work.  Each day for six days, I'll post about 10 rows.  One set will be for the bib and one set will be for the cloth.  You can pick whichever one you want to do.  Obviously, the bib is going to take longer, but by the time you get to the neck, you'll know what it is anyway.  If you are doing a bib, remember that I have two methods that you can use to begin it.  Either the easy short rows or by casting on stitches at the beginning of the rows.  As always, I hope you use the short rows.  They're easier (I think) and it gives you a nice rounded edge.  At the end of the six days, I'll post the full pattern and a picture.  I'll also put it up in a pdf file for you. 

For materials, you'll need to have one ball of worsted weight cotton in a SOLID color.  I emphasize solid as the design just won't show up in a variegated yarn and you'll just end up scratching your head trying to see what it is!  I recommend that you use a U.S. Size 6/4.0mm or a U.S. Size 5/3.75mm needle.  Remember you want your fabric to be dense so your stitches will pop and you'll be able to see the design.  Use whatever size needles you like.  If you're doing a bib, you'll also need either a couple of double pointed needles in the same size or a crochet hook Size G, depending on whether you are knitting or crocheting the ties.

That's it!  Any questions?

2 comments:

Linda J said...

If we choose to do the bib and use short rows, will the directions explain how to do that? I have never done one of your bibs before but thought the KAL would be a good way to start.

Elaine said...

Yes, they are pretty self-explanatory. I tried to make them as easy to understand as I could. Take a look at my "Do I Smell Cheese?" bib. The KAL begins exactly the same way.